ARC Review: The Sum of All Kisses by Julia Quinn

The Sum of All Kisses - Julia Quinn

Hugh is a brilliant man and very stellar at mathematics. But all this intelligence did not prevent him from a permanent leg injury he got in a duel with his friend, Daniel Smythe-Smith (from A Night Like This). Lady Sarah Pleinsworth has it out for Hugh for ruining her life and messing with her cousin Daniel. Even though Daniel has forgiven Hugh, Lady Sarah has not. When matched together at a family wedding gathering, they are forced to spend time with each other despite their animosity.

I had real strong feelings for Hugh and I’m a sucker for tortured heroes. He is flawed with a permanent leg injury that causes constant pain. The reader gets a good sense of how less of a man he feels, especially during those moments when a bum leg prevented him from swooping Lady Sarah off her feet for romantic or safety reasons.

I enjoyed the banter between Hugh and Sarah. It was fun to read and watch them go from hate to like to love. The conflict at the end didn’t come across as very believable to me or maybe it seemed a bit forced or rushed. The steam factor is on the lighter side and the reader has to wait closer until the end for it.

If you have been following the Smyth-Smiths in other Quinn novels, you will find that their musicales are horrid. It has made plenty of humorous reactions in the past novels but we didn’t get to experience their musicales in A Sum of All Kisses until the Epilogue. I would have liked to have read more about this event since it is what makes up the legend of the Smyth-Smiths. But overall, this was another quite enjoyable read by Julia Quinn with nothing too heavy to give me any heartache.

* ARC provided by Avon via Edelweiss