A Night in Berkeley with YA Authors and Pizza

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) - Veronica Rossi Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson Don't Turn Around - Michelle Gagnon

While sifting through tweets on Monday, I saw a flyer for a book signing for Ransom Riggs & Friends. What caught my eye was Veronica Rossi’s name. I love her Under the Never Sky series so I just knew that I had to find a way to attend this event at the very last minute. Luckily, the husband was cool with watching my two young boys. So, Tuesday after work, I fought the crazy Bay Area traffic to make it to Books Inc. in Berkeley, CA.

There were probably about 50 or so people there with pizza provided by Books Inc. The panel consisted of five authors. Ramsom Riggs (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children), Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me Series), Veronica Rossi (Under the Never Sky Series), Jandy Nelson (The Sky Is Everywhere) and Michelle Gagnon (Don't Turn Around

The authors talked for a little bit over an hour. They had audience members read passages in each of their books. People who participated received Peculiar tshirts and swag. I didn’t take notes because I went there as a reader and big fangirl of Ms. Rossi. Jenese (from Readers Confession Blog) suggested I write a little post. So, here are a few things that stood out for me.

Tahereh Mafi

• What a fun author with so much humor. I haven’t read her Shatter Me series but Jenese is a huge fan and has raved about this series to me often. So, I bought the first book and can’t wait to get to it soon.
  • She writes her male characters based off of her brothers’ personality. There are things that come out of their mouths that she writes down and hopefully will put it in her books, if she hasn’t done so already.
  • She knows who the main character of Shatter Me will end up with...it’s as clear as day but she cannot reveal who
  • If she had the opportunity to go back time, she’d choose to go back to Harry’s time at Hogwarts

Ramson Riggs

• Great guy, funny, and talked about posting things on Vine
  • The pictures in his book, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, came first and then the story.
  • The pictures were found at a swap meet in Los Angeles

Veronica Rossi

• She’s the main reason I went to this event. I love her Under the Never Sky series. I lost days of sleep reading her books but it was so worth it.
  • Under the Never Sky is set somewhere in Central California
  • Her short novella will be out in November. She didn’t reveal who the characters are but it is based around Goldilocks and the 3 Bears where the kisses are like porridge. Ummm….yes, I would like some porridge, please!
  • She’s working on her next series which will be somewhat fantasy with a male’s POV

Jandy Nelson

• I loved her book, The Sky is Everywhere. If you haven’t read it, you need to!
  • She’s working on another book which will be out hopefully next year. She didn’t reveal what the book is about but she did research by attending a stone carving class in Oakland.
  • For her writing process with the book she’s working on, she writes in a room, in the dark, with ear plugs and sound machine. It was funny listening to her describe this set up.

Michelle Gagnon

• I haven’t read her books but she writes adult thrillers and she debuted her YA thriller, Don’t Turn Around, last year
  • She told a great story of how she met Harrison Ford

Overall, I had a nice time meeting these authors. I had my fangirl moment with Veronica Rossi which just made my day. It turns out she doesn’t live too far from me and she’s very beautiful in person.

Here are few pictures of me with Veronica Rossi and Jandy Nelson.

* This was also posted at Readers Confession: www.readersconfession.com